So last week Francesca and I each pitched design for our informational website. While the bulk of our pitches focused on the look of the website, I formulated my website design (ps, as this was just a mock up it isn’t cross browser tested, sorry) to be as transferable as possible (or desired). Had we gone…. More.
So this is a git network graph. Specifically, it is the network graph for Ivanhoe from c. 20 February to 1 March. The blue line is our Develop branch and the various branches are features, projects, etc. The first little pink dot is my first branch. While programming development is far from complete, I forked…. More.
Last week I took a different approach to design. Instead of wireframing in html, Stephanie and I decided to break out the colored pencils and tap into our creative side. First, we worked on creating an Ivanhoe logo. Inspired by the original website - Stephanie and I modified the header by focusing in on the “I”…. More.
As you’ve already learned from Stephanie’s post team delegates (Stephanie & Eliza) have been wireframing ideas for Ivanhoe since we’ve decided on creating a plugin for WordPress. But before this happened, the entire team brainstormed the features that we would like to see included in our final product. As we became animated about our “must haves”…. More.
Just before we departed for the break, Stephanie and I met with Jeremy to talk over some of our wireframes for Ivanhoe. (Stephanie discussed our wireframing process in her post.) “Right,” Jeremy told us. “You’re going to want to clone the files that I’ve already created and start from there.” We blinked at him. “Cloning?”…. More.
While I plan on taking some time off over Christmas and New Year’s to be with family and friends, I also plan on fine-tuning my programing skills over the break. At the suggestion of Jeremy the first step is diving into tutorials (which involves equal part determination and motivation). As you may have gathered from my…. More.
Christmas, this year, is for building stuff. Today’s work orbits around three projects: building my new dining room table, finishing off a bike I am building for someone, and building some stuff in CSS.
Whenever I’ve taught folks how to do some basic HTML and CSS, the first thing they want to change are the styles for links on the page. And who can blame them? The default colors for links are pretty lame, as you can see in my first example page on CodePen. For those who don’t…. More.
[Cross-posted with dclure.org] Neatline 2.0 makes it possible to work with really large collections of records – as many as about 1,000,000 in a single exhibit. This level of scalability opens up the door to a whole range of projects that would have been impossible with the first version of Neatline, but it also introduces…. More.
One of the first things I remember doing as a graduate assistant was editing a few dozen HTML files to change all of the headings, which someone had typed in upper case, to use title case. This was not too much fun. It was even more painful to realize later that you can easily change…. More.
- Digital Humanities
- Experimental Humanities
- Geospatial and Temporal
- Grad Student Research
- Research and Development
- Visualization and Data Mining
- Podcast: Micki Kaufman on Quantifying Kissinger
- More Better Breaking
- (Digest #6) Announcing the Ivanhoe Information Website and Beginning of Testing
- Documenting Ivanhoe
- All Together Now
- Day of DH 2014
- New adventures
- Creating themes for individual Neatline exhibits
- NeatlineText: Connect Neatline exhibits to documents
- (Digest #5) More Reflections on Project Management